June 8, 2022
By: Tala Henry, Ph.D. Deputy Director Office of Pollution Prevention & Toxics CLA and RISE for a PFAS Update Webinar: Fluorinated Containers and Fluorinated Chemistry
• EPA’s PFAS Strategic Roadmap
• Background on Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS)
• EPA’s Approach and Goals OCSPP Key Roadmap Actions
• PFAS Pesticide Updates
Invest in research, development, and innovation to increase understanding of:
•PFASexposures and toxicities
•Human health and ecological effects
•Effective interventions that incorporate the best available science.
Pursue a comprehensive approach to proactively prevent PFAS from entering air, land, and water at levels that can adversely impact human health and the environment.
REMEDIATE Broaden and accelerate the cleanup of PFAS contamination to protect human health and ecological systems.
Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention
• Publish a national PFAS testing strategy. Released October 2021.
• Ensure a robust review process for new PFAS. Efforts are ongoing.
• Review existing PFAS under TSCA. Expected Summer 2022 and ongoing.
• Enhance PFAS reporting under the Toxics Release Inventory.
• Finalize new PFAS reporting under TSCA Section 8.
To See The Full Presentation: https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2021-10/pfas-roadmap_final-508.pdf
January 2021: EPA raised awareness in relation to a pesticide formulation – Press Release https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-takes-action-investigate-pfas-contamination
March 2021: EPA released testing data showing PFAS contamination from the fluorinated HDPE containers used to store and transport a mosquito control pesticide product.
September 2021: EPA published method for PFAS in oily substances https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2021-09/epa-pfas-method-in-oil.pdf
September 2021: Published results for mosquito control product in samples provided by MD https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2021-09/epa-pfas-mda-report_0.pdf